So last month I participated in a great session at Fishburners discussing the media landscape & tracking influencers.
Here are some of the notes I took on each of the slides.
- Who are they
- Stretching your story
- Their priorities
- Off-beat sections
- Fun publicity, list 5 things, quirky, get buzz; daily paper.
- Opinion pieces. Australian Financial Review;
- Find Target marget media
- Metro publications
- Tech publications
- Consumer Lifestyle: Imagery is very important for this pitch! Often Pay to Play!
- Broadcast Radio: GQ, Womens Health, Home and Garden, Parenting Today, OK! MX.
- Trade Publications
- Business: BRW, Business Spectator, Smart Money: Best to discuss business milestones.
- Trades: publicationsMarketing mag, auto aftermarket mag, edutechnology solutions, FSI.
- What do you sell?
- Who do you want to sell
- What are the interests of your audience?
- What’s an angle that appeals or fits in to a current theme / trend?
- Do you have a business update (new funding, milestone reached)?
- Is you company disrupting an industry?
- What was the inspiration behind why you strarted your company?
- Lessons learned along the way
- What topics do you have authority to speak about ( eg, startup community in AUS, years of experience in a particular sector?)
- What topics are trending or upcoming that you have an opinion on? What are you relevant / worth listening to?
- Pitch future ideas to journalists based on existing pieces they have written.
- Standard practice
- Human connection
- Online connection
- The importance of respect and feedback
- Identify VIPs and track their content
- Stretch your story, explore all avenues
- Develop targetted pitches to each VIP category
- Find a reason to connect outside of your pitch
- Take your best shot
Find 10 journalists in your space!
- Use oDesk to compile a list surrounding keywords; $3 per hour.
Developing your pitch exercies
- What is your product/service
- What does your business do?
- Who do you want to sell to?
- What are the interests of your audience
- What’s an angle that appeals?